TEXAS OUTLAW POET photos

Thursday, May 6, 2010

DEAR READER, by Jeff Callaway


DEAR READER, by Jeff Callaway

Dear reader
it'd be so much
sweeter to me
if you'd be
a believer
a rhyme receiver
a grammar greeter
an attentive reader
and even a bringer
of listeners to poetry readings
to make my soul smile
to make my spirit sneeze
i need someone
who really listens to these
lines of poetry that i bleed
for that is what i long
for that is what i need
for that would be
a friend to me
in need
indeed
a dreamer
cheer up sleepy dreamer
like a leaping lemur
i'd be a sailor
of somnolent seas
as freely you
read free
my lines by design
have come clean
and come wild
and i've traveled many miles
to live in exile
and be reviled
for only to speak
here now to thee
so lay a good ear on me
and please
dear reader
read on
read loudly
read longingly
read long
all these my sadly
sweetly unsung
ever so softly
suffer unto me
songs
which vow
to never say so long
but only to safely say
that it feels so good
to be alive today
and to laugh
and to love
and to be in love
with you and you only
to say hey
i'm also lonely
so won't you please
come out and join me tonight
to watch the panties
come off like a light
and to long longer
as the both of us hunger for
the butt-naked lunch


copyright jeff callaway 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment