TEXAS OUTLAW POET photos

Thursday, May 6, 2010

HENDERSON COUNTY BLUES by Jeff Callaway


HENDERSON COUNTY BLUES
By Jeff Callaway

I spent
My whole life
Rocking and rolling
Cocked and loaded like
Nothing ever lasts

And I grew up way too fast
But I’ve had a few laughs
At last

I’ve stayed away from my past
I’ve strayed away from my roots

And I’ve played the outlaw
A time or two you know
Trouble for me was
Nothing new
Just something to do

And it’s no excuse

I guess I never knew
All I had to lose
I guess I was born with them
Henderson County Blues…

I was born
With my neck in a noose
Baptized myself in this
Bottles of booze
With blues
But Mama didn’t raise
no brute

I guess you could say
I never gave no hoot

And by the time I was nine
I’d learned to shoot
My Daddy bought me my .22
And by 22
I’d run off with the loot

Traded my rattlesnake skins in
For combat boots
A ten-gallon hat in
For bleaching my roots
I filled the tank up
I let the clutch out
Like I was death proof

Through Cedar Creek Lake
I have boomed
And I’ve zoomed
And I always knew that
I was doomed
Ever since the warrant
Was issued
And my reputation grew

I’ve had a bad case of them
Henderson County Blues…

By high noon
I’ve dug the underground
I’ve paid my dues
I left the cops with
Hardly any clues

Their pursuit of me
I would elude while
Their hatreds for me
Grew and grew

From the first day
I made the front page of
The Athens Daily Review
I knew that Huntsville had
Some time for me to do

I got to pay the price for these
Henderson County Blues…

Which includes
Some methamphetamines
And a trash bag of shrooms
A decade of heroin abuse
Mixed with a shot of cocaine
With some shades of grey
and some may say
I’ve gone a bit insane
In my membrane

I’m an old drinker and tweaker
Of speeder freak lake fame

The Texas Outlaw Poet
Is my name

And I’m here
Just to tell you the truth
Just to share the news
I know I’m going to die
Tonight with my

Henderson County Blues


Henderson County Blues
Hurts like hell

Henderson county Blues
My hopeless tale


copyright jeff callaway 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment