TEXAS OUTLAW POET photos

Thursday, May 6, 2010

TEXAS REBEL by Jeff Callaway


TEXAS REBEL by Jeff Callaway

a crushing weight
encloses my body
mind and soul
so slowly rotting me
from the inside
the outside has got me
so am i to die
due to my anxiety?
i just can't breathe
and sometimes it seems
my life's become frightening
death is inevitable
but paranoia is enlightening me
to my very own autonomy
and to the state of the economy
and to the government's hypocrisy
and to all of the lies
that they tell to you and me
so has the American dream
forgotten Jesus' teachings
or does the devil play puppeteer
to the presidency?
there is not a decent man or woman
in Washington, D.C.
when a number has replaced my name
due to my innocent in discrepancy
number 1088276
can never pay the price
for my youthful curiosity
yes they locked me inside of
their capitalistic penitentiaries
where i did my time
but still they keep haunting me
branding me jobless
in a straightjacket
of financial insecurity
even non-violent ex-cons
can't make no currency
and are forced to turn back to crime
to feed the machine
and i can't take it no more
it's having a serious effect on me
it's making my mind
play terrible tricks on me
when my mistakes
are all that they want me to see
this law is smothering me
with i'll never be free
in the land of the free
in the home of the brave
in this place born from second chances
a second chance is what i crave
but their mind is made
so should i pull this trigger
and make it all go away?
NO i say!
and quit i can't
so i must rant
so i must inform
this war on drugs
is in need of reform
and i've been a Texas Rebel
ever since the day that i was born
i came into this world in cowboy boots
with a pair of long horns
with a God-given gift to spit
true words in my own poetic form
i'm the Texas Rebel
i represent the freaks
i represent the norm
i've been misunderstood
and i've stood in the storm
naked and scorned
behind bars
i've been abused
for smoking some weed
for taking some shrooms
for having a drink
for snorting a toot
for all the things you all tried
back when you were in college too
so if you don't agree with me
then fuck you too!


copyright jeff callaway 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment