TEXAS OUTLAW POET photos

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

JUNEBRIDE by Jeff Callaway


JUNEBRIDE

she was hotter

than a June bride

on the fourth of July

and I knew I just had to

make her mine

if only for one night

if only for the rest of our lives

she said to me that it'd be alright

if I came with her to her house that night

and so I bought her a beer

and then I booked us a flight

to some place called Astoria

to some place where she could cool off

she said her name was Gloria

and I said that was fine

and we had such a good time

as we drank bottles of wine

and she read my mind

and my new chapbook

as she put on chapstick

as she licked her lips

and then she lit

us both another cigarette

and then she lit an incense stick

she was about to light herself on fire

and I was inspired

I danced on the wire

my face licked the fire

and I lapped up the last of my supper

I introduced her to my mother

she became one of my greatest lovers

and my latest flame

as she spoke my name

and then burst into flames

late one June day




copyright jeff callaway 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment