TEXAS OUTLAW POET photos

Friday, May 7, 2010

DRINKING SONG by Jeff Callaway


DRINKING SONG

i’ve been drinking to forget you
swallowing all of my pride
taking shots of agony
and chasing them with your lies
bottles of frustration
cans of emptiness
in my beat up old pick up truck
looking to start some shit
searching for the truth
in the bottom of a bottle
and only finding myself
looking for love and friendship
in places where none exist
bottles of frustration
cans of emptiness
in my beat up old pick up truck
pulling over to take a piss
cockroaches on the ceiling
beers in the fridge
every day i make the pilgrimage
across the Caney City Bridge
smokes, tokes and jokes
i’m a bad tomcat
telling my dreams of New Orleans
to an empty bottle of Jack
got no love to live for
sleeping all of the time
drowning all of my sorrows
with bottles of wine
so turn up a bottle
and take its trip
and we’ll lie down
and re-create the things we did
and pray that we never forget

No comments:

Post a Comment