TEXAS OUTLAW POET photos

Thursday, May 6, 2010

POETRY OF FREEDOM by Jeff Callaway


POETRY OF FREEDOM
by Jeff Callaway

today
is the poetry of freedom
and my head it's reeling
from drinking cheap tequila
and staring at the spinning ceiling
but i've got a good feeling
even though i'm hung over
and my stomach is empty
but i'm dealing
'cause i got a half a pack of GPC's
and i got this poetry reading this evening
and this sexy nubile laying by my side
who sighs my name so gently
and i know that everything is going to work out
eventually
but i'm withdrawing
and i'm shaking
and i'm fidgeting
from this reckless abandon of the night before
and i am an East Texas dope whore
but i won't let you shut that door
i'll just keep knocking 'til you let me in
for i long to infect you with my sin
and today the poetry of freedom is in
so i'll say all that i want to say
with all my somber words with shots of whiskey
and all of these whiskey awakenings
to the poetry of freedom
overlooking my doom
and opening doors to words and walking through
tagging meanings to my mere thoughts
like tags on the bottles at the liquor store
but so much more...

i sound my barbaric yawp across
a dusty bar room floor...

for i am the voice of every drunk and every
whore
who deserves to be heard
and so please give me more of these words
for only a few would be for the birds
and today is the poetry of freedom
so be free for sure
for today
the poetry of freedom
is getting you drunk
and getting you laid
and making you dance
or laugh
or pass out

No comments:

Post a Comment